Monday, August 15, 2011

Obama


I work for a newspaper.

President of the United States Barack Obama just drove through my county and my town.

Needless to say, it has been a busy day, and I'm already exhausted. I still have an article to write.

I left work early to get to my spot. I brought Garrett with me. Drew wanted to stay home. He's not really into crowds. We sat in the shade for more than an hour waiting. I talked with some people, took pictures of the signs. Waited.

Finally my spotter called me. The President had just left a town 25 miles away. I started to feel excited. Pretty soon we began to see secret service people driving through, then a helicopter flew overhead. State patrol cars, then more state patrol cars...and finally in the distance, his big black bus.

I had my camera ready. As it came into town, I began to snap pictures. As the bus got closer, my pictures began to get blurry. I panicked. I had no time to adjust anything, no time to figure it out! Then I saw that Obama himself was at the front of the bus, we could see him standing there, waving and smiling at all of us. In a split second I made the decision to forget about the camera, and I began jumping up and down and screaming and waving.

And then it was over.

Clearly I am not a photographer at heart. I will forgo missing an experience while capturing it in order to really be there. I am so glad I did.

I was elated. I saw Obama! And Garrett was with me, and he thought it was so cool.

I am not going to go into politics right now because I am tired and I have work to do. Also, I am not as much in the know as I probably should be, what with the insane drama of my daily life. But it was seriously cool. I will probably never get the chance to see a president again.

Unfortunately, my boss may be disappointed I didn't get a better picture.

Oh, well!

See, if you look reeeeeeeaaaallly closely at the black bus, you can see he is in there waving. Man, I suck...

1 comment:

T said...

That is awesome! Gg and I were about 20 feet behind him during one of his rally's.....and she got to shake his hand....it is an experience we will never forget even though we don't have a picture. LOL. Reading this gave me that giddy excited feeling all over again! Damn just chalk up another day I wish I would have been in small town Minnesota with you. Love you and miss you.