Friday, November 26, 2010

Type B

I was recently on break with the other women that I work with. We were having a discussion (or rather, they were, I was going to town on my pistachios). All of the people I work with are pretty much the same way. One lady said she cleaned her bathrooms on her lunch break. One lady is such a neat freak that I'm sure she is OCD. The cans in the cupboard have to be all facing the same way. Yeah, that kind of crazy. My step-mom can't even relax in the bathtub or long enough to watch a movie because all she can think about is all the things that need to be done around the house. They all have this irrepressible urge to be doing something productive at all times, and they get shit done. Every single day.

My mouth kind of dropped open a little as I just listened. I felt a lot like this...



Is there something wrong with me? Am I the laziest person on the face of the earth? I absolutely could not relate whatsoever. In any possible way. Some days I feel I am so Type B that I am practically comatose.

I am perfectly capable of sitting around not giving a shit about what needs to be done in my house. In fact, I thrive on that, and I'm pretty sure it's the only reason that I have some sanity left.

It's not that I never do anything around here. Between yesterday and today, I got the laundry caught up, cleaned the bathroom, did dishes and cleaned up the kitchen twice, cooked a lot of food, and swept floors. There is more that could be done today, but that's too damn bad. I'll do more tomorrow.

I don't think there's anything wrong with me. I'm not lazy. (well, maybe...) I believe I have a talent that these ladies do not. I am able to focus. To relax. Unwind. Recharge. Slow down and see the little things in life that have meaning for me.

My priorities are different. My purpose in life is different. I mean, how could I possibly stay focused and really absorbed into my work as a writer if I were constantly worried about the dirty dishes, the messy bathroom, the laundry, or something else?

Stuff gets done around here. It just gets done when I feel like it. Or when the kids need something. And that's okay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go us!

Jade said...

Tonya, that must be you. :)

Unknown said...

Creative types are like this..... It's OK.