Friday, June 04, 2010

Writing Woes

It's summertime. I don't have a hell of a lot to do. I am still writing for the paper, but that doesn't take up a lot of time. I have been cleaning a lot because we are going to try to sell our house. The kids started summer recreation this week, but I don't even have to do anything; they just walk up the street on their own now. I like having this free time. I thought that I would be able to get some writing done. The thing is, every time I pick up my laptop and say I'm going to write, I end up blogging, playing Scrabble or Petville on Facebook, Stumbling, whatever. I am wasting some time, and it's like I'm doing it on purpose. I did write a bit of a short story that is just plain crap and something I will never share with anyone. It was really more of a writing exercise. But I want to work on my book.

I have so many ideas...so many scenes, emotions, relationships, twists and turns that I need to get in there. They are all in my head. While in my head, they are still brilliant.

The thing is, I don't know where to begin.

This book needs an overhaul. There are several pieces that will remain pretty much intact, but there are many changes I want to make to improve things. Do I start at the beginning again? I have been working on little scenes here and there. I need to pull it all together. Make it flow. Work on my words, make them flow more like poetry. Use more imagery. More description. Show, not tell.

I think I'm afraid that it's not going to turn out the way I want it to. That even though I get all excited and work feverishly on it, in the end it's just going to suck anyway.

Sigh.

I must overcome this block. I must meditate on it. Then I will know what to do.

No comments: