Friday, January 16, 2009

Sub-Zero Fun

So far this week I have worked one full day and two half-days. This Minnesota weather is crazy. The temperature was about 20 degrees below zero yesterday, and that's not even including the wind chill. I haven't even left the house in two days. They canceled school because of the temperature. The buses won't even run right. I'm so happy I didn't have to get the kids out in this.

I think I have been reading too many articles on cracked.com during my time off. This morning my kids watched The Smurfs, and it was all kinds of creepy. I found myself making nasty little sex jokes (in my head, of course) a la MST3K. I don't have a dirty mind, I swear! (Okay, maybe a little) Papa Smurf was yelling at Handy Smurf to bend over. You would have been laughing too, and you know it.

We haven't had any music on here for a while and I have been perusing youtube to find something that makes me happy that I can share with you. The song I have been dancing to a lot with my kids is "You're the Reason I'm Leaving" by Franz Ferdinand. I love love love Franz Ferdinand, and their songs have been taking turns being my favorite for the last year and a half. Alas, all they have on youtube is crappy videos for that song that other people have made. Yesterday I listened to a lot of Cloud Cult. They always make me feel happy. I came up with a list of reasons why they are so awesome.

Reasons Why You, Too Should Love Cloud Cult:

1. They are extremely environmentally conscious. They print all their CDs and cases and inserts on recycled paper. I think even the CD is made from recycled stuff. I don't know...the CD is in my van and there's no way in hell I'm going out there to look.

2. The lead singer/lyricist is Craig Minowa. They record their music in the basement of his home on his organic farm in Minnesota. Minowa created the non-profit record label Earthology Records.

3. Craig's wife Connie is also in the band- she paints pictures live on stage during their shows. So does Scott West. They auction off the paintings after the shows.

4. They play very cheap or free shows in small venues all over the place.

5. Holy shit- I went out there to look. I took a step out the door to my van in the garage. That's the coldest air I have ever felt in my life. But anyway...this is from the inside of the CD "The Meaning of 8." It is made of 100 percent post-consumer recycled paper, non-toxic soy ink, and non-toxic shrink wrap. Ten trees are planted for every 1,000 albums manufactured. Whatever energy is consumed during the manufacture is compensated for with the purchase of an equivalent amount of wind energy. These guys are hardcore.

6. The music is brilliant and original, the lyrics are incredible, and they are all-around fabulous.

7. Did I mention they are just plain awesome?

8. OK, I'll stop now.

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Love Cloud Cult:

I got nothing.

No comments: