Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Story of Stuff

My summer projects involve cleaning out my house and basically decluttering. I have managed to get rid of a shitload of toys and a lot of old clothes that the kids don't fit into anymore. It feels so good to get junk out of our living space, it feels like my brain is decluttering as well. Next I tackle my bookcases to organize them and get rid of books I no longer want around. I ran across this on my friend Diane's blog a couple of weeks ago and found it absolutely fascinating, and something that everyone should see and really think about. I have always been wary of how important material things are in our lives, and I am trying not to be such a consumer and teach my kids these things (not always successfully).

I recommend going to the website and checking out the entire video but here's a good clip.

2 comments:

Posy said...

Great video!

I tagged you to do a meme. Details are on my blog. Thought it might be up your alley.

Posy said...

John & I always talk about how good it feels to declutter. It's almost cathartic. I remember when our house was on the market and nearly 1/2 our stuff was in the garage, we could clean the entire house in about 10-15 minutes. That was great. Today it took me 30 minutes to clean the kitchen. :P