Last Saturday the weather finally felt like April around here. The temperature rose to 60 degrees, and everyone felt like they were waking up from a long, cold, dark slumber. The streets were full of people walking, there was an energy in the air that had been missing for many months. Todd took the boys shopping so Grace and I headed to Decorah to get some groceries.
Our first stop was the co-op grocery store to pick up a few things and to eat at the deli. To my delight and surprise, it was the grand opening celebration for the new store. There were children and adults on the front sidewalk eating at small round tables and drawing pictures with chalk on the sidewalk. Kids were running around with their faces painted. We went inside and found a store full of people shopping, eating and listening to the live music. Three guys stood in the corner near the deli case with a microphone, a guitar, a ukulele and a tambourine singing songs, and a strange mixture of songs at that. As Grace and I shopped and tried many of the free samples throughout the store, I found myself singing along. "Jenny, I got your number...867-5309." There were people sitting on the floor near the musicians, people dancing, talking, having fun. I got Grace and I some food at the deli section, which is nice except it's not all vegetarian. I had the most delicious tempeh taco, corn, rice and a cold sweet potato salad. I also had a cup of vegetable soup. A lady who didn't know me and didn't work there offered to help me carry it, since I was pushing the cart with my stuff and Grace. Everyone there was super-friendly and warm, and it was such a refreshing change. Someone helped me get our stuff to the dining area, and we squeezed into a table between two couples. With the close proximity of the crowded area, we struck up a conversation with an older couple to our left. Grace sat on my lap and shared all of the food with me (she loved the taco). As we sat down, the guys began to play "And it Stoned Me," by Van Morrison. I closed my eyes briefly, taking it all in.
The next day was cloudy and rainy, and last night it actually snowed. That's what we get for living in Minnesota I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment